Immigration Update – Visa Options for Europeans and Canadians in the Age of COVID-19 & in the Light of Recent Developments
As of April 22, a temporarily halt of all immigration known as the “COVID-19 proclamation” came into effect; suspending all routine visa services at U.S. embassies and consulates. This measure, in addition to the many changes to the U.S. immigration system ordered by the current U.S. administration in 2019, has had a significant impact on the lives of millions of immigrants living legally in the United States.
Immigration Reform (2019) was designed to slow legal immigration and to strengthen the Department of Homeland Security’s ability to enforce immigration laws. Some of these changes are taking effect in 2020, and even more changes may be on the horizon.
Join our panel for an update on U.S. immigration and how it may affect you and your business or your ability to conduct business in the United States.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and Department of State restrictions on Visa Adjudication and Practical Effect
● Current Processing times
● The US ‘Proclamation Suspending Entry of Immigrants Who Present Risk to the U.S. Labor Market During the Economic Recovery Following the COVID-19 Outbreak’ issued April 22, 2020
From the Canadian perspective:
● Travel restrictions and exceptions
● Rules for people traveling to Canada
● Special administrative in place
● Special measures for employers
Due to Corona-virus pandemic governments in many jurisdictions have implemented a range of temporary immigration-related measures in order to contain the spread of the virus:
● Travel restrictions within Europe and the US due to COVID-19
● Quarantine measures and health screening procedures
● Concessions in the EU due to the temporary closure of consular posts and visa application centers
● Recommendations for business trips in times of the Corona-virus pandemic
Francis Tourigny, Partner, EXEO ATTORNEYS, Jorge R. Lopez, Shareholder, LITTLER, Gerlind Wisskirchen, Partner, CMS, Additional panelist TBA.